torsdag den 19. februar 2009

Technicolor rules!

I'm a huge fan of old movies, particularly the ones starring pin-up ladies in fancy technicolored costumes...
The queen of technicolor and my all time favorite pin-up girl is off course Betty Grable!
Her legs were insured for a million dollars and she was indisputably the top pin-up girl for American soldiers. Grable was the highest-paid female star in Hollywood by the end of the 1940s, receiving $300,000 a year!

The great pin-up artist Alberto Vargas (-probably my favorite..) is often credited with creating the artwork of for this beautiful poster for the movie 'Moon over Miami' from 1941 (starring Betty..) but it is believed that Vargas only did the work for the print ads, it's still stunning though...

She's so cheesecake...
-“I'm a song and dance girl. I can act enough to get by. But that's the limit of my talents.”
- "I have got two reasons for succes and I'm standing on both of them."
Betty Grable


This poster is from the lavish movie 'Ziegfeld Follies' from 1946 It's artwork is by another great pin-up artist George Petty and the movie is an absolute must-see if you love dancing ladies and fancy glittering costumes.

-the carrousel has real horses for crying out loud!

I've never been a big fan of Doris Day but I couldn't resist this picture of her and her technicolored poodles..

You cannot talk about technicolor and not mention 'The wizard of Oz'... Oh those ruby slippers...There's no place like home..

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar